Thursday 7 July 2011

It's Official! I'm an expat!

I didn't think it was possible, but here we are. Two slightly drug-addled cats and one set of golf clubs, plus a few other bags with stuff like clothes, all arrived safely. The trip was relatively uneventful, save for the toddler in coach setting a new record for high-pitched screaming (almost an hour). Fortunately, the headphones provided in business class block out almost everything. Still, I found myself sympathizing with the unwashed masses in the cattle car, knowing full well the next flight would not be underwritten by Ann's company. At the airport in Bordeaux, we rented what we thought would be a car big enough for three large suitcases, a set of golf clubs, four carry-on items pushing the allowable limit, and two cat containers. Upon arrival, I would have bet the farm on having to abandon at least two pieces (the cats?) in the rental car parking lot. Ann's countless hours wasted at 3-d tetrys finally paid off (see picture).
In spite of the jet lag (or jet leg as my daughter prefers to call it) we were able to get to the new house and settle in with the limited provisions we had. Fortunately, our new landlady, a cross between Mother Theresa and Ghandi, has left us with a few essentials for supper including a couple of bottles of wine. Julie is truly an example for all landlords to follow. While we were enjoying our first dinner on the back patio, we were visited by a neighbor's cat, who is the alter-ego of one of the cats we brought with us. If I had known we could enjoy the affections of at least one cat for no extra cost, I might have left mine behind. The spooky part is this cat looks exactly like one of ours only five or six pounds lighter (everything in Europe is smaller).
The first full day has been busy, busy, busy, as apparently there are a bunch of things we need to buy to make this place functional. What happened to my holiday by the sea? Oh, well. I guess I knew there would be some effort required. Two car dealerships, one cat supply store, two house accoutrements stores, a superstore (for lack of a better name), and a MacDonalds for the free wi-fi later and we've got a  car full of stuff. I can't help but see the irony in the shopping trip for all the things I was desperately trying to get rid of in Calgary over the last few weeks.




 I finish this instalment with a picture of our first of many breakfasts of champions: a couple of pan au chocolate, croissants, and yogurt. Ann ordered me to the local bakery around the corner this morning where I found it completely empty. What an opportunity to try my newly minted Berlitz level 2 French certificate! As I walked up to the counter, confidant with my newly acquired French skills (and lack of an audience), 5 more impatient customers arrived and promptly filed into line behind me. Suddenly the pressure of international competition was revealed to me as I verbally expressed my French limitations to a hostile crowd. I did manage to leave the store with correct items and only a vague feeling of unease, vastly exceeding my expectations. How many more sleeps until I go home?
Tomorrow: more chores.

1 comment:

  1. Are you sure that is not your cat and it just lost a lot of weight while being tranported. I would have thought the picture of you sleeping over your first meal would have made it onto the blog. Hope you had fun spending like drunken sailors today.
    A&D

    ReplyDelete