Sunday 10 July 2011

The Lord's Day Act - custom fitted

Today was without question our laziest day to date. Fortunately, the local bakery does not get caught up in silly rituals like observing the sabbath, or perhaps they have their own interpretation of such things. I better leave that one alone. Needless to say, it was a good, slow start comprising of yummy baked goods and misinterpreting the headlines of the local paper (apparently there is a bit of a drought in the area - thanks Ann).  I’m not sure what happened to the morning but just after noon we walked down to the nearest pier to catch a boat across the channel to Cape Ferret (not pronounced Ferret, judging by the look on the girl’s face in the ticket booth).



.
The little town on the cape is reminiscent of Amity Island (remember ‘Jaws’?): 2 months on, 10 months off. But sister, let me tell you, they really go to town on the tourists for those two months. Also, they have a great beach with big ol’ concrete bunkers from WWII. Typical of the French, they even make those look pretty good. I don't know who that guy is, but he gives some sense of scale if you believe he's normal sized.



In one of the parks nearby, the old guys play boules (also called petanque).  Just imagine playing bocci ball with your grandfather and a bunch of his friends and a whole bunch of cigarettes and you pretty much get the idea. I’ve noticed just about every large park seems to have designated boules zones, some with scoreboards. I look forward to being properly retired so I can be accepted by the local old guys into the game. As a domestique, I don’t think I qualify, yet. I also had a picture of the local lighthouse, but I’m not allowed any shots misrepresenting the size of Ann’s butt in a deleterious fashion (deleterious means bad). 




We also wandered down near the water where they keep the oyster farms, or whatever they do with oysters (ranches?). I took a picture of one of the traditional oyster harvesting boats and I’m guessing, although cut me some slack here because I am from Saskatchewan, that it is low tide. Those of you with more nautical backgrounds may wish to correct me if necessary. It may take me some time to get a grip on this low-tide, high-tide business.




We finished with a nice overpriced meal at a restaurant right on the beach and walked home. But not before Ann stopped at the beach hut advertising sailing and board sailing classes for kids. Perri doesn’t know we are adding some structure to her summer. 
Ann goes to work tomorrow so I’m on my own. Pray for me




1 comment:

  1. Glad to see that you are using your time wisely. You will likely only be accepted as one of the old boys if you put on about 80 pounds and take up smoking. Just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete